waiting
excited about the piranhas, which no longer live at the zoo. There's pacu, though. Not as exciting. No teeth.
"See, Aunt Becky? See the big fish?" I'm getting to know Brazey Speak.
The Face, I (photo by Jack)
The Face, II (photo by Jack)
The Face, III (photo by Jack; I didn't participate well in this project, as you can see. My mouth posture doesn't capture the feel Jack was hoping to find.)
monkey
hatched
Jack dropped a little yoyo ball in the aviary's stream. At first he thought it was funny, then as the ball floated out of his reach he got a little panicky. They hatched a plan to get it, though. Evan stood on the far shore; Jack knelt on the "dock" and splashed the yoyo over to Evan. In the end, it was Mom that got it out because my arms were the only arms long enough.
"Did you get the camel in the picture, Mom?"
"It's a llama."
"Oh. But did you get the camel in the picture?"
"Yes. And it's a llama."
In ten years they'll be assuming the same postures and expressions at some high school party.
Those three zookeepers in the background are dealing with a juvenile King Vulture, who will soon put on a show for lucky observers. The big central enclosure that used to belong to the rhinos has been converted into something the zoo calls The Entertainment Glade. We were definitely entertained.
Kip the King Vulture swooped across the Entertainment Glade from one keeper to the next. Mom, you would have loved it.
Then, with much encouragement from his three keepers, Kip maneuvered an agility course, just like a dog would! Dad, you would have loved it!
As we were walking away, Kip performed another of his tricks. "Target circle!" said the zookeeper, and Kip trundled over from a few yards away and pecked at the circle. Smart birdie.
After we'd sat in the sun for so long Jack and Evan decided to cool off in the Kenya Get Wet? splash pad. Jack exercised a bit more independence than Evan. Jack wouldn't come with us despite repeated warnings of "We're leaving now!" We walked toward the giraffes without Jack and Evan nearly lost his mind. We didn't lose Jack. He eventually rejoined us and got a lecture from me.
Snack break.
Pokes everywhere.
Fab pic of my fave star.
Jack spent the afternoon with the Tuckers while I went to work at camp. Afterwards we met at a park and grilled some dogs. Not that black one, though.
Perfect day. Summer agrees with me.
2 comments:
This post busted my sides! A ton! I am laughing and laughing at the camel/llama conversation! Then the High School party poses. And I just didn't stop.
Thanks for posting.
I see I must leave town for you to blog more. It's a wonderful treat to come home to!
~A
One more thing... Those pictures of Brazey in front of the bench and in front of the giraffes... You know, his expressions always seem so mature - such an old soul - that I forget how really tiny he is. And those photos really shocked me. He's just a little man.
Post a Comment