On Monday nights Jack and Evan are participating in the Young Champions of America karate classes held at Cottonwood and taught by Sensei Michael. I like him. He's good with the kids but very firm, tolerating no BS. Can you spot Evan and Jack? They're not allowed to get karate outfits until they commit. I've already heard too much, "You don't like karate really much, but I like it a little bit, right Evan?" Even if they do commit I'm not sure I'll pay $30 for a cheap polyester gi, but I will be keeping my eyes peeled at my various thrift stores. This particular uniform is shiny and stiff, and the fabric makes a lot of noise when it rubs together. It's also entirely too big on most kids; I've seen two of them slip on their too-long hems and fall flat on their little polyester-clad keesters.
Sensei Michael has taught them a number of moves in rapid succession. I'm not sure they get it.
Sensei Michael also teaches them self-defense, which consists mostly of getting away from a stranger should you happen to be grabbed by one. First of all, you yell, "Stranger!" then execute a hold-breaking move and run away.
They practice with each other, joking all the time, but I hope some of it sinks in.
Mandy, Brazey, and Bishop went for a walk outside because Sensei Michael had requested respectfully that no babies or toddlers come to practice as it can be distracting to the participants. Brazey didn't seem to mind. He had a snack.
half smile
full smile
Afterwards, we played at the school. "OK Jack. Pretend we're walking along the ledge outside the building." They played that for awhile.
But we finally made it to the play, where Brazey mastered the slide. He is the Slide Master. This slide was short enough and wide enough to set him at the top, where he figured out how to scooch his little self over the edge into the waiting arms of Mommy or Aunt Becky. He never grew tired of it. Wanted to do it again and again.
"OK Evan. Let's pretend we're brothers and we got a package. Inside the package there's a map." We finally had to drag them home, but I think they played that pretend all the way.
They played that pretend in the bathtub, then continued it on Evan's new whiteboard after dinner.
Brazey got to pretend, too.
Just like a big boy.
Goodbye hugs, until next time.
1 comment:
Thanks a lot for all the updates, Becky. You're the best. Love you, Brock.
Post a Comment