Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Journey

This year for Christmas we drove to Houston, TX, to spend the holidays with some of Dave's family. Since moving to Arizona we've had every Christmas with MamaDee and PapaDee. That's the tradition, what feels familiar. This year we broke with tradition. Though we miss the Familiar Family Christmas, it's been nice to share the holidays with another side of our family.


We left only an hour late the Saturday before Christmas. Jack prepared to climb into the car only to find his seat occupied by Harry, who had returned from the North Pole with an early Christmas present from Santa. Harry brought Jack a Leapster and a Batman game to play on the long ride to Houston. Though the photo is blurry, the joy is evident.

Jack played and played. When the second set of batteries on the Leapster ran out, Jack watched the tiny TV. On long trips like these he prefers to watch School House Rocks or vintage cartoons. Don't ask me why. It's OK with me. And when he started getting grouchy and whiny, he turned it off and went to sleep.



He slept for three hours, and I stitched and stitched. Now that I'm knitting I find that I thoroughly enjoy long car trips. Gives you lots of time to work on that knit 1, purl 1 ribbing.

2 comments:

Momma_Dee said...

I had no idea when I bought Harry that he would become such a longterm player in Jack's Christmas celebrations. I certainly remember Jack's appreciation of Harry that day he received him at Rockfish Grill.

shy_smiley said...

Isn't great how stuff like this just happens? I fully expect to pass Harry on to my grandkids, God willing.