Sunday, August 23, 2009

rattlesnake sunday

So I was on Mandy's back patio, sweeping while Brazey was blowing bubbles, when I realized we had a Rural Metro situation.


Can you see it?


Can you see it now?


now?


There it is.

It really was a little thing. Mandy called 911 but learned that the fire department won't remove a rattlesnake unless it's an immediate danger (like, in your house) and the service to which they referred her charged $75 for removal. Dialing the number for another service we googled simply reached their voice mail, stating they were "in the field or with a client."


By that time, Dave arrived with his body armor and weapon.


That little sucker had already struck at me, so I was grateful for whatever additional protection David could dig up for himself. I didn't even laugh (very much).


Dave discovered he needed to sharpen his shovel. Instead of clean severance, that poor snake got a real whack job.


The head continued to writhe and bite for a few minutes after parting ways from the body.


trophy


RIP, baby rattlesnake. We didn't really want to kill you, but we didn't really want you hurting any of us, either.

2 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

You post about rattlesnakes, your mama posts tarantulas...you girls really think I'm coming out there?

auntie m said...

I think that snake got what he deserved. The nerve...hanging out on a patio.