
As Mama Bird sat on the nest Daddy would bring food for her. I watched them for a week or two. When I peeked in one day there were four perfect speckled eggs that looked exactly like Cadbury Mini Eggs. One day I thought I'd take a picture and blog about it, but the next time I looked there were three little chicks nestled around one unhatched egg. That was a Tuesday three weeks ago.

They couldn't hold up their heads for a more than a few seconds and their spindley little selves just quivered.

Mama nested with them but flew away each time we opened the patio door.

On Wednesday there were four.

They grow up so fast! When I looked at them yesterday, maybe three weeks after they hatched, only two babies were left in the nest. One of them flew away. The other looked up at me with black eyes shiny as seed beads, a few downy baby feathers poking through his grown-up flying feathers. What do you want to bet he's the chick from the egg that hatched that Wednesday three weeks ago?
No comments:
Post a Comment